Policy Information

COVID-19 UPDATES AS IT PERTAINS TO VA BENEFIT RECIPIENTS: If you are registered for Fall 2020, any classes that don't end in ON, would be considered in-classroom classes for VA educational benefits purposes.

YCCC is proud to serve those who have served our country. We are here to assist veterans, spouses and dependents of veterans access the resources he/she earned in order to make the educational transition process as easy as possible.

We offer veterans benefits for Certificate/Degree programs (credit programs) as well as some of our Continuing Education programs (non-credit programs).

The information and links on this page will provide you with an overview of the types of benefit programs, application process, and other financing options at YCCC.

NEW- FALL 2018 FOR CH. 33 POST 911 BASIC ALLOWANCE FOR HOUSING (BAH): Starting August 1, 2018, the housing allowance under Chapter 33 will be based on the physical location (zip code, not facility code) where the majority of training is taking place. All training locations will be reported to the VA for each course, clinical, internship, and practicum. If a student is performing training at multiple sites during a term (i.e., performing clinicals at different hospitals, every few weeks) then all of those dates and locations will be reported in order for the VA to calculate the student's BAH. 

The BAH Resources Center will assist CH. 33 recipients in better understanding this new Congressional rule under the ColmeryAct (PL 115-48). A BAH Calculator and FAQ are also available at this site. Please plan accordingly in preparation for this new change.

NEW: Participate in Veteran's Upward Bound, a resource to help veterans succeed in college. This is available to new and continuing veterans: Apply Here .

NEW: Maine Veterans can view this financial resource guide: Veterans Guide.pdf .

ONGOING: On April 14, 2016, L.D. 1612 was signed into state law. Essentially Maine National Guard service members will receive free in-state tuition so long as he/she meets the criteria. Go here to see if you qualify: free in-state tuition. This excludes fees. See the FAQ's to the right of this screen for more information. 

ONGOING: Beginning in the Fall 2015 certain spouses & dependents of Veterans, and Veterans will be charged in-state (Maine) tuition & fee rates under the Veteran’s Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”). Read more here: Choice & Accountability Act .

ONGOING: Consider applying for the Purple Heart Scholarship here


The law also expands the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) to include surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Prior to this law, only children of those who died were eligible. Some spouses currently eligible under Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program may now make a one-time irrevocable election to receive the Fry Scholarship of up to 45 months of education benefits instead of up 36 months of educational benefits. The VA will determine who is eligible. Applications may be made after November 3, 2014.

Please inquire with the Financial Aid Office regarding this program.


YCCC is approved by the Maine State Approving Agency For Veterans' Education for the training of veterans, and spouses and dependents of veterans who qualify.

To learn about the different chapters of federal veterans benefits and state benefits, as well as other Tuition Assistance (TA) programs, please click on one or more of the links below:



Post-9/11 GI Bill  ® (Chapter 33)

Montgomery GI Bill  ®  Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Montgomery GI Bill ®  Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

 Survivors and Dependent Assistance (Chapter 35)

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Spouses of Veterans Education Training (see template on right of page) 


Veterans utilizing Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 must check in with the VA on the last day of each month the student is enrolled in order to receive benefits that month. Please call 877-823-2378 or go online to http://gibill.va.gov/wave



Maine Bureau Of Veterans Services: click here : Veterans are encouraged to contact this agency and self-identify as a Veteran to ensure you receive the maximum benefits for which you may be entitled.

State of Maine Veterans Dependents Tuition Waiver Program- NEW: Maine State law passed in 2013 now requires spouses and dependents of veteran students to complete the FAFSA as it could affect your receiving this waiver.

Free In-state Tuition for Maine National Guard/Air Guard- NEW: Maine State law passed April 14, 2016- L.D. 1612. Fees and books do not apply.

Veterans Upward Bound supports eligible veterans in preparing for entrance to and success in college (advising, mentoring, tutoring, and academic instruction in core subject areas. Contact our Admissions or TRIO Office for more information.



GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at official U.S. government web site at: https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

For other types of Veteran's educational benefits, visit FAME .


For New and Transfer Students Attending YCCC

1.  Choose a Program of Study at YCCC- Apply for admissions in one of our programs of study: Admissions Application Click Here . Contact Admission. 207.261.4409 or admissions@yccc.edu .

Credit programs: A new applicant will completed the Admissions application  and will then schedule a time to meet the School VA Certifying Official, Barbara Winchell, Financial Aid Director. 207.216.4410 or bwinchell@yccc.edu. Be sure to ask our Admissions staff about Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) where you may be able to earn credits for experiences gained outside postsecondary education. The American Council On Education is where you can request a military transcript. Go here to request one. Reducing the total number of courses you have to take to earn your degree can lower your total college expenses.
Non-Credit programs: Same as above.


2. Sign up for VA Benefits-

Credit and Non-Credit programs: Apply online for federal VA benefits called the VONAPP by going to: http://www.gibill.va.gov/ and click on “Apply for Benefits”. Transfer students will have to complete another form in the VONAPP called the 22-1995. Dependents & Spouses of Veterans complete VA form 22-5490. Within 2 weeks the student will  receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from the VA. Please provide a copy to the respective YCCC Certifying Official.


3.  Sign up for YCCC course-

Credit programs: After our Admissions staff have met the student to discuss educational goals, he/she will sign up for courses. The student will also be assigned an Advisor.
Non-Credit programs: Our Continuing Education staff will meet with you to discuss your educational goals and sign you up for courses.


4. Submit Request For Certification form-

Credit programs: Submit the Request For Certification (form below) form 30-40 days prior to the beginning of the next semester of attendance to Barbara Winchell, Financial Aid Director.
Non-Credit programs: not required.


Students enrolled in Credit programs are strongly encouraged to also submit the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov to be considered for other sources of funding.

If you want to view your personal Federal VA Benefits online, please log-in HERE. First time recipients are strongly encouraged to call V.A. Buffalo to understand your educational benefit options: 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBILL 1)


5. Consider doing a FAFSA-

If you are pursuing credit courses through a degree/certificate program, see what the FAFSA will offer as other forms of financial aid: www.fafsa.gov .

We recommend students contact our Business Office 2 weeks in advance if utilizing these other TA Programs as they do not require the application process above. 207.216.4438:


GoArmyEd ® (for eligible Active Duty, National Guard & Army Reserve Soldiers- TA)

Navy Military Tuition Assistance (for Naval Officers & Enlisted active duty & others)

Air Force Military Tuition Assistance (for airmen)

Marine Corps Military Tuition Assistance (for active duty and active reserve Marines)

United States Coast Guard Tuition Assistance (for active duty members)

MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Account)