What is the Work-Study Program?

Work-Study is a federally funded program granting part-time work opportunities for college students. The purpose of the program is to provide financial assistance to students demonstrating financial need.


How do I qualify for Work-Study?

You must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid FAFSA in order to qualify for Work-Study. Your Work-Study eligibility is based on unmet financial need (need that is not met by grants and/or family contribution)


To be eligible for Financial Aid the student must meet all the following criteria:

Financial Aid Basic Eligibility Criteria Document.pdf

How will I know what Work-Study positions are available on campus?

Work-Study positions will be sent to YCCC student e-mail accounts as available & posted on the workstudy page


How do I apply for a Work-Study position?

In order to be considered for a Work-Study position, you must:

  1. Determine the position(s) for which you wish to apply.
  2. Obtain the YCCC Employment Application from the Work Study Forms column on the right of this page.
  3. Submit a completed application to the supervisor of the position(s) for which you are applying.  (If you wish, you may apply for more than one Work-Study position.)
  4. Have an interview with the position’s supervisor


The Work-Study supervisor will determine whom to hire. This decision will be determined by choosing the individual best fitting the needs of the department.


I have been hired for a position, now what do I need to do?

Once a student has been officially hired, the Work-Study supervisor must forward the student’s YCCC Employment Application to the Financial Aid Office as well as the Statement of Understanding so that Human Resources may complete a background check. The student must also complete a FWS contract, confidentiality agreement, I-9, W-4, W-4 ME and Sexual Harassment Prevention Training. Students will get these forms from the Financial Aid Office. Completed forms will be returned to the Financial Aid Office. Original documents must be provided for Financial Aid Office review to complete the I-9 (photocopies not accepted) and a certificate of completion for the Sexual Harassment Prevention training will also be required.


NOTE: A background check will be done upon completion of all paperwork. Once the background check is completed the student will be eligible to work.


York County Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.  Inquiries about the College's compliance with, and policies that prohibit discrimination on, these bases may be directed to: Affirmative Action Officer, 112 College Drive, Wells, Maine, 04090, telephone 207.646.9282, fax 207.641-0837; United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, 33 Arch Street, Suite 900, Boston, MA  02110, telephone 617.289.0111, TTY/TDD 617.289.0063, fax 617.289.0150, e-mail OCR.Boston@ed.gov, internet http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html?src=oc; Maine Human Rights Commission (MHRC), 51 State House Station, Augusta, ME  04333-0051, telephone 207.624.6050, TTY/TDD 207.624.6064, fax  207.624.6063, internet http://www.maine.gov/mhrc; and/or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 475 Government Center, Boston, MA  02203, telephone 617.565.3200 or 1.800.669.4000, TTY 617.565.3204 or 1.800.669.6820, fax 617.565.3196, internet http://www.eeoc.gov/. The College also does not discriminate on the basis of sexual preference or marital, parental, or veteran's status.  Inquiries about the College's policies that prohibit discrimination on these bases may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer or MHRC identified above.


What hours will I need to work?

You and your Work-Study supervisor will determine your schedule. It is generally 6-8 hours a week, however Work-Study hours are flexible, and you can work around your college and personal schedule. However, you cannot earn any more money than the allotted amount for Work-Study as detailed in your contract. Any unearned amounts during the academic year are forfeited.


When do I get paid and how much will I earn?

Work-Study students are paid on an hourly basis. The beginning hour rate is $13.00 per hour.  Students will receive paychecks bi-weekly. Timesheets are completed every other week electronically through Timesaver. Additional information and training is provided by Human Resources. Direct Deposit is available for work study students and the form will be in the packet of employment paperwork. Paychecks can be picked up in the Business office every other Wednesday after 12 p.m. The remaining paychecks will be mailed to the address on file.


Any person who knowingly and willingly embezzles, misapplies, steals, or obtains by fraud, false statement or forgery and federal funds shall be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned for not more than five years or both.


Can I work during school vacations?

Yes. Your schedule needs to be arranged with your supervisor.


Do I receive any breaks while working?

In accordance with Maine State Laws, a student must take a 30-minute break if he/she works 6 or more consecutive hours. This is an unpaid break and must be computed for the hours worked on the student’s time sheet.


Do I receive any benefits as a work-study employee?

Work-Study students do not receive overtime pay, sick pay, vacation pay, or employee benefits.